Tuesday 1 December 2015

Crochet with dream yarns.

Whenever I complete a craft project I like to use the best materials I can. After all if I am going to spend a lot of time on a project why make something inferior. The time is after all the biggest cost.

As an example, I am making a crocheted jacket style cardigan. It would have been cheap to use a basic acrylic yarn that cost maybe £1 per hundred grammes, or about £8 for the whole project. It will take me about 20 hours altogether to make. At minimum wage that would be £130 worth of time. A total cost of £138. It won't wash well or wear well.

On the other hand, I could use a quality yarn with natural fibres that may cost £8 per hundred grammes or around £64 for the whole project. The total cost is now almost £200 but you have a truly unique item that washes and wears beautifully and will last for years.

In this case I am using a hand painted Alpaca and wool mix from Artesano. It is a dream to work with and the colours are stunning. This isn't the best photo as it was done on my camera phone so it's a bit dark. You get the idea of pools of colour though and great stitch definition.

This sample is treble crochet (English naming) and is completed on a 4.5mm hook.

What are your thoughts when choosing yarns? Cheap and cheerful as the time is not important? The best you can find for that little bit of luxury?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)