Sunday 13 January 2013

Blogging, Birds and Buzzing Brains

The more I do of these blog posts and read of others while completing this challenge the more ideas spring to mind. The aim may be to get more traffic to my blog but one side effect has been to get my brain buzzing with ideas :)
I had several thoughts on today's post, but eventually decided to show you some of my photography with a message about feeding birds.


I love to see birds in my garden and always have water and food out for them. Moving to a large town recently I thought I wouldn't get as many visitors but I have been pleasantly surprised. One of my favourites is the Robin. I discovered recently that the bird we call the robin in the UK is not the same as the Robin of the USA, so do not be surprised, readers from over the pond at the photographs here :). I also find out some interesting facts. For instance, as Robins bring up their nestlings they stop grooming themselves to make time for the endless collection of food for their growing brood. As the season moves into late spring the birds look very bedraggled. It is not until the young have flown the nest that they grow a whole new set of feathers and lose the old ones ready for the oncoming winter.
The first picture here was taken early in the year just as the eggs have hatched. By the second picture, taken in late May, you can see how the plumage has become bedraggled. In the last picture, taken in July, the new plumage is evident and looking fabulous.
In the spring I used to put less food out thinking there was plenty about. Now I keep putting my Robin mix out so there is some food easily available :)

8 comments:

  1. That is really neat. I had no idea that robins in the U.S. and robins in the U.K. were a different color. Robins here are the first sign that Spring is well on it's way. It always adds joy to my heart seeing the first robin of the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only found out there was a difference when I posted on a photography site and someone commented that the pic was great "but of course it's not a Robin" :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize Robins were different in US & UK. I'm in AZ now (moved from WI last year) and have seen birds that resemble the Robins I was used to and wonder if they're different here too.

    Here's my site from last year: http://empowerment4you.com/robins-nest/ I had 2 nests over last summer. It was a lot of fun. I was taking pictures and posting almost daily so everyone could see their growth. It happens so fast...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My garden is too small for a nest so will enjoy having a look at yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love birdwatching and taking pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by and commenting Diane :)

      Delete
  5. Fabulous photos Janice

    When we moved to a more rural location we noticed a lot more lovely bird life.
    Robins, woodpeckers, blue tit babies in the boxes in spring, and best of all an owl in the huge conifer tree who we watch at dust as he flys out to find his food

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a town now and haven't seen any owls here. We had one that sat on top of a telegraph pole at a previous house - it used to wake us up early in the morning just before the goods train came rattling past at 5.30. I am sure he was waiting for the mice to scurry away scared as it came past :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment :)